The History of Astoria's Saint George's Church Cemetery
Updated: Jan 22
This Church, complete with gargoyles and stained glass windows is the historic St. George’s Church in Queens, NY. The church was originally built in 1828 but burned down in 1894. This structure was constructed in the early 1900s. The stone used was taken from the blasting needed to complete the Queensboro bridge.The Church and area have a long standing association with the Blackwell family (the Queensboro Bridge and Roosevelt island previously were known as the Blackwell Bridge and island respectively.)
Many of the people buried in the cemetery behind the church belonged to the Blackwell family. Along with other prominent New York City Families such as the Mead, Bartow, Mabbett, Snyder, Trowbridge and Tisdale families.
Here are some photos from the Church and graveyard, located in Astoria, Queens.